Tsuut’ina Nation: Finance Department
Reports to: Director of Finance
The Payroll Supervisor is a very hands-on role, and is responsible for accurate and timely processing of weekly payroll for multiple departments, deductions, remittances, adhering to all regulatory requirement and the supervision of all payroll staff. This role is ideal for someone that enjoys working in a fast-paced high-volume environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
· Ensure accurate and efficient processing of time submissions each week and various scheduled payroll cycle remittances, while supervising and training support staff.
· Organize workload for payroll team and manage absences to ensure appropriate cover is available to meet deadlines.
· Oversee and coach payroll staff and conduct regular performance evaluations.
· Ensure submissions from program managers are compliant with Tsuut’ina Nation Employee Policies and Procedures Manual.
· Verify data entry inputted by payroll staff for completeness and accuracy.
· Ensure the payroll team completes all filing of payroll related documentation in a timely manner.
· Verify and process third party wage deductions and ensure system records for employees are updated accordingly.
· Liaise with Human Resources, Senior Management and Divisional Controllers to resolve issues related to necessary documentation to complete payroll processes.
· Close payroll periods, review/reconcile clearing accounts and prepare adjusting journal entries as required.
· Respond to questions from employees, managers, Executive Directors, and Divisional Controllers
· Prepare Record of Employment in accordance with Service Canada timelines.
· Prepare payment requisitions for benefits providers and the Receiver General by deadlines.
· On a regular basis reconcile employee deductions, employer contributions and invoices provided by third party benefits providers, ensuring that all information is accurate, and when necessary, creating journal entries to correct errors and/or contacting third party benefits providers to correct invoicing errors.
· Prepare T4 summary, T4 summary reconciliation and T4 supplementary forms.
· Other related duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
· Canadian Payroll Association Certified Payroll Manager or Payroll Compliance Practitioner
· Minimum of five (5+) years payroll experience required with an excellent grasp of payroll accounting principles and payroll compliance legislation.
· Minimum of three (3+) years experience directly supervising staff in a payroll department in a large organization.
· Must understand debits and credits and the ability to create journal entries.
· Must be able to complete complex account reconciliations.
· Highly organized, analytical and able to use effective time management strategies for managing team work loads.
· Must be able to apply number sense when interpreting data and reconciling and resolving inconsistencies in numerical data.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy.
· Able to perform under extreme pressure and at all times adhere to professional standards.
· Ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Ability to communicate professionally both orally and written.
· Proficiency in Outlook, Excel and Word.
· Working knowledge of Xyntax and Avanti software is considered an asset.
· Punctual with reliable attendance.
· A valid Alberta driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
· Must be prepared to provide a current Criminal Record Check.
· Must be prepared to abide by Tsuut’ina HR policy including drug testing.
· Must uphold strict confidentiality and sign an Oath of Confidentiality.
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.