JOB SUMMARY: The Junior Accountant will participate in all facets of the accounting cycle
and the administrative processes of the Finance Department. The Junior Accountant position
is hands-on and requires a solid understanding of operational and financial accounting
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Approval of vendor invoices and other transactional accounting entries for assigned
programs and services.
2. Responsible for accurate and timely maintenance of the general ledger for each program,
including investigation of discrepancies and preparation of adjusting entries.
3. Ensure spending and reporting complies with various funding agreements, internal
controls and sound financial management principles and practices.
4. Assist in all areas of accounts payable, payroll and accounts receivable as required.
5. Preparation of working papers and reconciliations to assist various external auditors in the
completion of audit procedures.
6. Preparation of GST returns.
7. Assist in the preparation of bank reconciliations.
8. Take on special project as assigned by the Director of Finance or their delegate, including
but not limited to, payroll, accounts payable, internal controls, process improvement and
9. Works closely with program and managers to prepare budgets and projections, monitor
actual performance versus budget.
10. Other related duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or Management or Diploma in Accounting.
Strong interpersonal skills. Must be able to work with a team and contribute to team
success, must be able to effectively manage conflict with poise and professionalism.
Self-starter that can work alone and unsupervised, must be able to anticipate the needs
of the organization and take the necessary steps to address those needs.
Must be able to effectively communicate complex information in a way that can be easily
understood by all stakeholders, both verbally and in writing.
Strong critical analysis and problem solving skills; ability to demonstrate technical
knowledge and application in a practical manner.
Experience with full cycle accounting software and proficient in Microsoft Excel.
Ability to meet deadlines and handle changing priorities with composure.
Experience working with First Nations or Metis communities is an asset.
Experience with Xyntax accounting software is an asset.
Have a valid Alberta drivers’ License, proof of insurance, and own reliable transportation
Submit a criminal record check
Professional dress attire