Office of the Peacemaker
Title: Custodian/General Maintenance
Department: Office of the Peacemaker
Reports to: Peacemaker Coordinator
The Custodian is responsible for maintaining the building and grounds of the Peacemaker Building. The Custodian performs tasks relating to regular maintenance, janitorial services and grounds keeping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, and scrubbing on a daily basis performed to the satisfaction of Public Health Canada, as well as the Tsuut’ina Nation Peacemaker Coordinator
- Gather and empty trash regularly
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors
- Place garbage in outdoor garbage bins regularly
- Maintain lighting fixtures installed in the Peacemaker building. Replace all burned out light bulbs and fluorescent tubes used in the lighting fixtures.
- Take boxes out to recycling bin
- Service, clean thoroughly, and regularly supply restrooms
- Clean and polish furniture and fixtures
- Maintain all parts of the Peacemaker building with heating, cooling, ventilation, and humidification.
- Ensure minimum horizontal levels of illumination are maintained in the Peacemaker building and in the parking area adjacent to the building.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors using disinfectant/glass cleaners
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment
- Maintain emergency electric power supply back-up
- Mix water and detergents, or acids, in containers to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies
- Mow and trip lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds
- Notify Peacemaker Coordinator if there is a need for major repairs or additions to building operating system
- Notify Peacemaker Coordinator of damages and acts of vandalism
- Maintain Furnace filters when required
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, and shovels and spread snow melting chemicals 3 times daily if necessary
- Requisition of supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties in conjunction with the Peacemaker Coordinator
- Ensure storage area is secure at all times
- Create a schedule for duties and tasks, regularly sign off on each task that is completed
The position is a physically demanding position. The custodian must spend the entire time working standing, walking; some heavy lifting is required; operating heavy weighted equipment to clean floors such as floor buffer. Sweeping, mopping, moving office furniture etc. This position also requires a great deal of physical movement.
This position requires custodian to deal with dangerous and toxic cleaning products that can be very harmful to one’s health if not properly trained to utilize. The custodian is required to clean blood, saliva and other bodily fluids.
As many of the cleaning materials give off noxious fumes and odors, extreme caution is required when handling cleaning materials improper use can cause injury, sickness and/or skin irritation and rash.
Stress from conditions of restrooms and unpleasant situations.
- Must have general knowledge of building maintenance, custodial duties, etc.
- Must have general knowledge of housekeeping skills (i.e.: sweeping, mopping and polishing floors and other duties)
- WHMIS certificate
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and possess a positive attitude regarding public relations with the Tsuut’ina members, staff and outside interactions with the Nation
- Must be willing to obtain further training and education as required
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal to no supervision
- Must be consistent, reliable and responsible
- Ability to work and communicate effectively within a team environment
- Must have a general knowledge on upkeep of yard maintenance
- Must be flexible in work hours due to responsibility as custodian must be willing to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Must have general knowledge of building maintenance, electrical work, custodial duties, etc.
- Must have general knowledge on upkeep of yard maintenance
- Participates in emergency drills and environmental safety activities, as requested.
- Ability to understand and to promote confidentiality as a norm
- A valid Alberta driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from the building is required.
- Must be prepared to provide a clean and current Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be prepared to abide by Tsuut’ina Human Resources policies and procedures including drug testing.
- Must be bondable and sign an Oath of Confidentiality
Vulnerable Sector Check:
This position requires applicants to provide a Vulnerable Sector Check
Competition Open: April 29, 2021
Competition Close: July 26, 2021
Forward application with attached resume to: email@example.com
Please reference in subject line: CUSTODIAN REF#38
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.