Department: Bullhead Adult Education Center
Title: School Administrative Assistant
Department(s): Bullhead Adult Education Center
Reports to: Principal/Director of Education
Designation: 16 month Contract Position
The incumbent in this role is expected to provide confidential administrative, secretarial and office management support, often in an independent manner, to the assigned school. This position is accountable for providing effective and accurate support services to ensure the school’s efficient workflow and operation and for delivering and disseminating accurate information regarding school decisions, procedures, practices, and policies.
Summary of essential job functions:
· Serves as Administrative Assistant to the Principal and Staff in the school. Sorts and refers mail and email, answering routine correspondence as necessary. Screen calls and provides factual information regarding the operation of the school.
· When needed, provide receptionist duties to telephone and counter callers, relay messages, and supply factual information, including basic school policy and procedures.
· Record and process attendance information. Contact students to verify attendance. Maintain accurate school enrolment records by processing changes to personal data, class lists and additions and deletions to the school. Compile reports and summaries as necessary.
· Prepare reports, forms, notices and summaries as requested by the Principal.
· Phone and email students when absent for more than two days and send letters after five days.
· Maintain office files, wall charts, bulletin boards, etc.
· Responsible for the production of school newsletters and teacher/student handbooks/agendas.
· Take care of the student registration process and maintain accurate student files.
· Process student records. Requisition, forward, and receive students’ cumulative records from other schools.
· Create and maintain student filing – paper and electronic, including preparing student files for students’ interviews with the Principal.
· Arrange maintenance and service for the photocopier and other office equipment if requested by the Principal.
· Receive and register substitute teachers, advising new employees of school policies and procedures. Maintain the Substitute Teacher List for the school.
· Draft letters and reports requested by the students for review and approval by the Principal.
· Arrange and maintain the Principal calendar and appointments.
· Attend and participate in all staff meetings and assigned committees.
· Provide monthly reports to the Principal for review and approval.
· Serve as a member of the school Emergency Response Team.
· Complete staff payroll by the cut-off date and time and update vacation and sick time records according to established procedures.
· Prepare purchase orders, cheque requisitions and accounts payable requests for supplies, equipment, and other services as approved by the Principal.
· Maintain files for purchase orders, cheque requisitions and accounts payable.
· Deliver mail, correspondence, payroll and payables to the Education Administrative office.
· Assist the Principal with Alberta Works funding applications.
Student System Support:
· Maintain Student Information Management System for Bullhead Adult Learning Center.
· Ensure data relating to PowerSchool and PASI (the current Student Information Management System) is accurately entered and updated. This includes but is not limited to: entering all student demographics, creating the courses and students class list, adding and withdrawing students from classes.
· Input and maintain required data throughout the year in the current SIS.
· Create student class lists for the teachers.
· Support Nation Schools with Student Information System.
· Update BAEC Communication Page and Website.
· Prepare, print, file and email report cards to students.
· Prepare Students Nominal Roll list.
· Grade 12 or equivalent.
· Administrative Assistant certificate or equivalent is considered an asset.
· Minimum 2 to 3 years related experience in an office environment.
· Current and clear Vulnerable Sector Check.
· Knowledge of Tsuut’ina Nation Culture and Language is considered an asset.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications such as word processing, publishing and presentation applications, email and other information management tools.
· Excellent data entry skills with an emphasis on accuracy.
· Ability to multitask and work with frequent interruptions.
· Ability to work effectively as an active team member in cooperation with other school personnel, staff and students.
· Success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
· Exceptional customer service orientation.
· Strong time management, prioritization, multitasking and organizational skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, listening and written communication skills combined with the ability to speak with confidence.
· Strong conflict management skills.
· Ability to work independently under general supervision.
· Personal integrity, honesty, and trustworthiness.
· Professionalism, tact, courtesy and diplomacy skills.
· Ability to deal with sensitive and discretionary matters and maintain strict confidentiality.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.
Please apply in writing, including a Resume and Current Vulnerable Sector Check to:
Tsuut’ina Nation Human Resources Department 9911 Chiila Boulevard, Tsuu T’ina, Alberta T2W 6H6
Competition Opens: March 26, 2021
Competition Closes: April 8, 2021